Re: [Tech - Cruise Control]

Hey

The cruise control system that Volkswagen uses is actually quit simple.  It
actually has only six components to it.

The first thing I would check would be all the vacuum lines.  Start at the
clutch and break pedals.  These two lines 'Y' together and go out to the
engine compartment, where they 'Y' again.  One goes to the diaphragm on the
throttle assemble.  The other goes to a small vacuum pump on the passenger
firewall.  One small crack in any of these lines -- the system will not work.

Make sure the diagram on the throttle assemble is not cracked or dry rotted.
Replace if needed.

Check the connections.  There is a switch on the brake and clutch pedal.  Also
the connection on the vacuum pump on the firewall and the connection from the
steering column.  There is also a connection to a magnetic pickup that hooks
up to the speedometer.  IF the speedometer has been removed for some reason or
another it may not have been connected.  Also check the cruise brain.  It is
under the glove box.  I have had the cruise brain die on me before.  I
replaced mine out of an Audi.  Different part number same unit.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask !!

HTH
Dave
85 Scirocco GTX