My NJ Meet story (long)

Hey Kids! Do you like Primus? Do you wanna see me stick 9 inch nails
under each of my eyelids?

Here's the NJ story from my view...

My jetta was just about 'built' in one week. Here's the list of things
we did this week:
-dual outlet manifold
-no cat
-techtonics exhaust
-VW Motorsports 'Group A' headgasket
-match ported head/intake/exhaust manifold
-cam splash guard
-new steering rack boots
-urethane steering rack bushings
-urethane rear axle mounts
-new balljoints
-new shifter bushings
-installed large wheels
-removed wheel well liners, cut fenders out, clearenced trim so there's
no lip
-misc gaskets and seals on motor

Anyway... the car should be lots of fun...

My friend Kyle bolted the wheels up...

I got the car fired @2:30am and everything smoked as the coatings/oil
burned off. Looked like the damn thing was on fire...

At 7:30am I woke to tune the car. It was running a little rich and
idling a little too high, but it would do.  As i drove to the meeting
spot, I lost gears 1, 2, &5 because the bolt in the shift linkage that
holds the splined rod wasn't tight. I jacked it up and fixed it.
I hung out w/ everybody for a while, then we went to a local Tire/rim
joint called True's. It started to snow, then stopped.
Going to the gas station, the car started to backfire- the dist had
worked itself loose... ONWARD!

The cruise was fun! I stayed toward the back so if any of us got lost, I
could at least get us to the halfway meeting point.
There was one blind corner that everybody backed up on and I almost
crashed into...bad, bad,bad...

I basically abused the hell out of the uGLI to see where the problems
were. The exhaust rattled here and there, but I can adjust it out. The
wheels, 15x7 momo-quazar-lookin-things w/Yoko 008R's worked Great! I
need to clearance the rear fenders more (?!?!). The car handled
wonderful with the Tokico HPs and the Sus.Tech Speedtech springs. I
really like it.

After we met up to BS at the halfway point, there was a short section of
highway- maybe 2 miles. This was for all the guys who's cars had long
legs... but as we pulled out of the parking lot, a cop spotted all the
'go fasters' and threw a u-turn. He pulled up on the uGLI and noticed a
smashed winsheild, no inspection sticker, and no front license plate...
but kept going. He drove past everybody real slow like to see what was
up. After he got to the front of the pack, he pulled over to the right.
As we turned off the highway, he followed us (I was last). A minute
later, I got pulled over...  License, registration, insurance was in
order... I said, "I guess you're pulling me over for the winsheild" he
said "...and no plate or inspection sticker"  I mumbled something about
the Glass guy not showing up on Thurs...
He then said "What's with all the Volkswagens?"
I replied "we're all out for a nice Saturday cruise thru the
countryside"
Him: "and you all drive....Volkswagens?"
ME:"Yep! Its a VW club. Actually, we all met up on the internet- thats
why there's so many different states on the license plates." That was
the truth. I just laid it out.   He looked at my license for about 30
sec, then said, "Hurry up and catch up. Go have fun." Me:"Thank you
officer- that's very cool of you!"   That's it!   ROCK!

The cruise went on as planned- I for one welcomed the dirt roads, but
when my euro lights show up, I may not be as reckless...  We ended at
dinner at 'The Tigers Tale', after a few brews and some more car BS we
all left (with no kiss from the waitress Scott knew...).
On the way home, after picking up a little potted flower for my girlie,
I got a weird vibration from the front on deceleration, it got louder,
then it was constant. I pulled over to find that my lugnuts (all 3 of
them) were able to be screwed in with my finger tips...  Since my friend
Kyle (who showed halfway in the cruise) isn't here to defend himself, I
wont publically put the 1/2"ratchet with the 3" extention and 17mm
socket up his ass. Good thing I caught it...

So the moral of the story is- The cruise was a success, I can work on a
WC car and kinda know what Im doing, tell the cops the truth
(sometimes), and check yer own damn lugnuts.
I can't wait to see the photos.

this week Im gonna give the car the once over to make sure all of the
bolts I loosened are still tight.   LATER!

CHRIS CHEMIDLIN
http://www.spredhaus.com
http://www.angelfire.com/nj/spredhaus
58 Type1 Ragtop