Re: power mirrors?

VWN8@aol.com wrote:

> I just got a set of power mirrors at the yard. Instalation looks fairly
> straight forward exept for 4 wires (aparently the power supply). They are: 2
> brown, 1 white with green stripe, 1 black with yellow stripe. Anyone know how
> to connect these wires? Also, how can I tell if the mirrors are heated or not?
> TIA
>
> Nate

The Browns will be ground wires,

Which of the other two colors is which- you got me. Well, Lets peek at
the Bibl, er Bentley, shall we? Hmm?

If it's stock from say an 83-84 Scirocco or equiv. then I see in my Big
Red Book that it has built in heated elements. Not sure if there is
another type that comes without them.

>From a 15A fuse (G3) to Blk/Yellow wire.
>From Bk/Y wire to Mirror Sel switch.
Bk/Bl wire from switch to R. motor, Bl to L. Motor.
Bk from other side of R. Motor joins Left Motor's Bk wire.
Joint Bk wire from motors goes back to M. Adj. sw.
(These end up joining with the ground wires from the heater elements,
see below.)

>From here, there is a whole 'nother segment associated with the heater
elements and something inline called CLTCHS, one each- L and R. (???)
[sorry, way to late at night to figure what they are]

It appears that the W/Gn wire feeds switched power from the Rear
Defroster circuit to the Mirror Heater Elements.

Lastly, those Brown wires look to terminate at a junction on the
Fuse/Relay Box labeled 10.

hth,
TBerk
I may have a working scanner this weekend if you need the exact diagram.