Re: Fuel System Problems : Help!

---"jason. miller" <j.miller@shaw.wave.ca> wrote:

>     I have been having some problems with my good old Rocco 16V 2.0L
> lately.  I'll try and keep it short and to the point.

CIS-E still?

>     While I'm driving my car (this happens all the time, though MOST
> often when under slight acceleration, and I mean VERY slight
> acceleration, when the engine is warmed up).  The car will "cut out" for
> a second and then keep on going again.  I can also hear a "clicking"
> noise (just like when you turn on your signal light) sometimes in rapid
> succession coming from around the fusebox area.  I also looked at my
> gauges today, and when this happens, my tach will usually jump up about
> 100 - 200 RPM's if you look closely.

You may be experiencing the "no-spark=no-fuel" cutout. It's supposed to
do that in case of an accident so you're fuel pump doesn't keep feeding
gas into a potential engine fire, ya dig? :D   So...

>     I know what your all saying right now... "Damnit, its the Fuel
> Pump Relay!".

Well, that's what my Captain Kirk issued Tricoder is saying, but 23rd
century technology can't really be trusted now, can it?  "Dammit Scotty,
I _need_ full power!! Can't you replace that fuel pump relay any
faster!?!?"

Sorry, lost my head for a bit.  Yeah, get another relay from a junk yard
and try it, yours may be getting funky in it's old age.

> Could there be a problem with my Fuel pump or ignition system?

Yes!  The ignition could be cutting out, which would make the fuel
relay shut off the pump, so it might be working perfectly, and your
ignition system might be malfunctioning.  Tune everything up before you
start replacing other components at random.  (cap, rotor, plugs, wires,
electrical grounds, timing, ignition system brain box tests from the
Bentley...blah blah blah...etc, etc..ad infinitum)  Hmmm, maybe you
_should_ just start by replacing the relay, but the other stuff is
important too. :)

>   Also, what the heck does a Relay do?  What is making it "trip"?  Is
> it sort of like a re-usable fuse?  If so, then why do I keep on getting
> "surges" or whatever?

They're remotly operated electical switches.  Easy, eh?  Oh, and you
might want to turn off that HTML and hit 'return' at the end of your
lines too, bugs a lot of people. :)

Good luck!

==Brett