re: 3-gauge panel

Neal,

The three gauge panel from the Audi 5000 or the Audi GT will work in
your Scirocco.  The panel that the gauges sit in need to be trimmed
to fit in your centre console, but it can be done.  I know, because
that's what's in my car (and you wouldn't know that it isn't stock
unless you get really, really close).

The three gauge kits that many hardware and parts stores sell are
usually inferior.  If you do go the "new" route, make sure you get
good name brand gauges.  I think the VDO gauges are about $100 each
(correct me if I'm wrong here, anyone), but they are worth it.  I
paid $50 for my cluster at a wrecking yard here in Ontario.

And, for heavens sake, make sure you get the sending units for the
temperature and the oil pressure.  Not all sending units work with
all the gauges, so it's easiest just to keep the set "matched" by
pulling it all off the same car.

I have a page on my website that explains this in greater detail.
URL is at the bottom of this message.

Good luck,
-- Michael Helms

'81 Scirocco - the fixer-upper
'86 Scirocco - the daily driver

Web Site:  http://www.continuum.org/helms

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, you
can better serve your country by living somewhere else."  - Dr.
Stompin' Tom Connors