Fwd: Re: [tech] Difference Between Heads, GTI vs Stock

<smartin@ntl.sympatico.ca>
>writes:
>>     I was wondering if there is any difference between the heads
>>off a stock 8V and a GTI 8V.  Are the intake or exhaust valves
>>bigger?  I think its off an 83 GTI.  I know it should bolt right up
>>to my block.  I was going to take mine off and replace any worn
>>parts (seals, gaskets, etc....) but I could do it at my leasure with
>>a spare head at home.  That way if I get the wrong parts, or do
>>something wrong I'm not stuck without a ride for two weeks.  And
>>getting a GTI head cheap would be good to do it with, especially if
>>there are some preformance advantages.
>>

>>Sean.
>>87 8V
>

>Depends on what year the GTi is. The A1 Gti (AKA the Rabbit) has a JH
>motor so the head is exactly the same. The A2's heads are hyd and wont
>fit without mods.
>

>              Shawn Meze

Uhhh . . . the Hydraulic head (A2 "big valve" 40/33) will bolt right on
to a JH block. The only mod required is this: You must get the later oil
pump.

The early A2 Non-GT/GLI/GTI 8V heads (1985-1987?) have smaller valves
(38/33 i think) and are to be avoided.

Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco S
1982 Scirocco