Re: Sudden Acceleration (Or lack of) and some other stuffs.....

Alex Ting wrote:

> .
> >I think cell phones should be banned too, but that'll  never happen.
> >Too many CEOs *need* them.  Yeah, right.
> >

> hey now,
> there are many of us out there that actually need our
> cel phones.  But some of us are not stupid enough to
> use them while driving.  If I get a call while driving, it'll
> just have to wait until I pull over, or that's what voice mail
> is for.

I have no problem with people who use cell phones responsibly.  You've
got to admit, though, that those people are in the minority.  I'll also
acknowledge that some people really *do* need them, but I think those
are a minority, too.  I went to school, for instance, with a lady who
had a child with a severe illness, and she carried a cell phone in her
purse.  There were several instances where she needed to leave to attend
to her kid; I have no problem with that, either.

It just seems to me that the number of people who *really* need them, as
opposed to the number who only *think* they need them, is way, way,
small.

> It's just like everything else in this world:
> it's not the object itself, but the intelligence level of the
> operator.

Agreed again.  I wonder how many people objected when radios were first
put in cars?  Or CBs?

Still, I have to say this:  There are so many people who misuse the damn
things that I think the best course of action would be to ban them.  Or,
maybe a better idea:  Make talking on the phone while driving a
ticketable offense, with penalties equal to those of drunk driving.

Still, that doesn't ring true, either; I know some people who drive
better totally trashed than others do while totally sober.  Hell, there
are people I'd never get in the car with in *any* state, and others I'd
ride with if they were too drunk to walk.  (Not really, but you know
what I mean.)  There's an answer out there, I'm sure...

Seriously, no offense to capable and responsible cell phone users
intended.  It's just that you're outnumbered by idiots.

Carlyle