Re: I've got shifting woes!

I just did mine last night!

The head is out of my car making everything MUCH easier...

You'll need a 12 piece bushing kit... its less than $5!

You'll get a kick out of the Technical names....

First I got under the car and unscrewed the 13mm that attaches the
upside down 'L' to the 'black ball on a stick'. Then pull out the cotter
pin holding the skinny (sometimes weighted) rod out. remove the upside
down 'L' and replace that bushing. Before you put it back there are 2
bushings to pop in, too. Put it all back into the car.

Next, find the lowercase d piece. The 'black ball on a stick' sits in
the hole of the D. On the stem of the 'd' you'll see a rod with plastic
ends. They have little clips, so unclip both sides and clean it up.
Before you clip it onto the 'd', replace the soft washer.
Find where the other end of the 'rod with the plastic ends' went. There
should be a 'see-saw' part. Unclip 'rod w/plastic ends II'. get the 13mm
and the 10mm and get the 'see-saw' out. You'll see there are 2 black hat
bushings that go here. Clean it up and put it back with new soft
washers.

Unclip the other end of 'rod w/plastic II' and clean it up, attach it to
the 'see-saw'. Clean up the 'big-ugly-piece' attached to the tranny. It
moves. Figure it out, and pretend to drive from the engine compartment.
Remove the cotter pin holding the 'sometimes weighted, skinny rod' and
replace that bushing. Put the soft washer on the ball where 'rod w/
plastic II' goes.  Reassemble.

This left me with 2 black 'hat' bushings left. I think they go under the
boot (under car boot) where the shift rod meets the actual shifter.

Any questions, drop me a line...

>Hey There!

>Just curious if anyone has changed out the shifter bushings before. I
wanted
>to attempt it myself but the manual I have doesn't explain the
procedure(can
>the bushing be had at the local parts store?)!

>Michael

CHRIS CHEMIDLIN
http://www.spredhaus.com
http://www.angelfire.com/nj/spredhaus