RE: I've got shifting woes!

>Hey There!
>
>Just curious if anyone has changed out the shifter bushings before. I wanted
>to attempt it myself but the manual I have doesn't explain the procedure(can
>the bushing be had at the local parts store?)!

you'll have to go to the dealer or order them, but the dealer charged me
only $13!  not bad at all.  you can order them for less from potterman,
adironadack or TT.  it's pretty easy to do, just very dirty, especially
the transfer rod behind the engine.  which is also the first to go.
i've heard of people using the bushings from the A3 on this part.  they
are much harder and don't wear out as fast.  i've replaced them twice
already on my car, the last about 4 months ago, and already i can tell
that they are a *little* more lose than before.

>I'm having periodic problems going from 2nd back to 1st and also getting some
>grind from 1st to 2nd. would the bushing be the obvious culprit?

if you have lots of side to side play (which will cause those problems),
that can be fixed be replacing the bushing that locates the main shift
rod under the car.  this does NOT come with the bushing kit.  the
bushing kit mainly fixes the fore and aft play, not side to side
although it helps there too.  unless you are talking about the $85 kit
from virtual world.  i would imagine that came with everything.

> I'm planning
>on dropping in some Redline gear lube first chance I get. Would this help the
>occasional grinding to 2nd problem? I know the Redline helps when it is cold
>out but the problem doesn't seem related to the temprature.  Any input into
>the problem/fix would be welcomed!

redline will help hot or cold.  the coefficient of friction of redline
is formulated to work better with synchros (won't get into the details).
 i also had the 2nd gear crunch going on.  it's much better now,
although it still happens occasionally.  but this is due to my sloppy
side to side linkage.

chris
86 16V scirocco