Re: First Mk1: A Scirocco Story (long)

<snip>

> My father gave me
> the 57 Beatle when I got my license. He had bought it cheap from a friend
> who was moving out of town.  It was the perfect compliment to the 57 ghia
> he had given to my brother when he upgraded to a 66 Porshe 912. I loved my
> 57 and had many good times in it (Did you know that its possible in a
> pinch to get around a broken throttle cable by attaching a wire to the
> throttle rocker arm and running it over the top of the car to a friend
> standing out of the top of the sunroof?

<snip>

Ha ha hah!  My solution to that problem was carrying a 3/8" (or
maybe it was 1/2") box-end wrench with me at all times.  It was
possible to jam the wrench in there so you would have about 1/3-
throttle all the time.  Kinda dicey at stop lights, but I alway made it
home.  (My '71 Beetle had a voracious appetite for throttle cables.
Never did figure out why.)

Carlyle