RE: speaking of steering......

bentley has a procedure for adjusting the space between the rack and
gear, if that's the problem.  it could be a combination of rack/gear
free play, worn tie rods ends (left and right, inner and outer) and
steering rack mounts.  lift her up and give her a good shake to see how
tight everything is and where most of the free play is coming from....

chris
86 16V scirocco