Re: Who wants 11" brakes?

<x-charset iso-8859-1>

><snip>
>> there is also a dual caliper kit available in order to
>> use the 10.1 rotors to a better capacity.
>>

> Mark, you mention here a dual caliper kit available for the 10.1
>rotors...
>do you mean a two-piston caliper?  Have you ever used this kit or seen the
>braking results....where can you get this?  I ask because I want to stay
>with my 10.1 brakes but would like better braking.  I was thinking about
>getting new calipers (mine are original=125,000 miles), but if these
>upgraded calipers are available I may want to try them.
>Any help is appreciated!
>Thanks,

Yes sorry i didnt clearify that it is a dual piston setup there is one that
is a retrofit from a nascar kit wildwood .. then there is several other off
brand kits that are used commonly around our track .. old school calipers
use an oversized chevy pad . at one time i was approached with the plans to
create a set for audi using the dual piston set up from porsche i ended up
not having enouph time to machine the parts but still have the plans. i also
have been told that H and R had a dual piston caliper but that will have to
be confirmed.. i do know that there is an over size kit that i had to shave
down and make a small jig for that ended up on a Type R integra the same kit
was later installed onto a 93 vr6 corrado i do not know the details but can
easily find out .
some one earlier emailed about weakend rotors by  slotting etc.. yes this is
true but i have never had a problem with any of my rotors and have gotten
many of high speed braking  on a set of rotors. im not just talking from
60-0 either im talking extreme speeds of 160+ and down to 35 with in aprox
70-100 ft depending on the corner your about to enter. myself have never had
the need for any larger calipers than the ones i installed off a 87 gti.
with a set of ceramic coated 10.1 slotted rotors . My own slotted rotors not
the competition. i can out brake just about anyone in my class  and very
very very few times do i ever lock up my rotors.. and as far as fade i have
never noticed any fade . but i push the envelope everytime i hit a corner.
if i used a larger rotor i would have to back off my pressure and use larger
slots to take out some surface.. it wouldnt be so bad to do that but its not
needed.
the 10.1 rotors  with smaller slots are enouph to stop 2500lb car
under extreme conditions when properly set up.my porsche weights 2400lbs
with 11.0 rotors front and 10.1 in the rear slotted heavy front and back
width of slot is .3125 6 radius slots directional. even with the heavy
slotting its still on the edge of lock up on performance tires.those rotors
are the stock size for that car and are Major over kill. so with that in
mind why would you want those rotors on a lighter car under street
conditions?. i have the 11.0 on the front of my passat light  sloted and 9s
on the rear light slotted .  that car is HEAVY and brakes Very well  ive had
it on the Track on test days  and dont have much of a problem on short runs
but after about 15 laps or so i do start having fading and  by the end of
the day my pads are completly gone .
but that is to be expected of such a heavy car.. by the way that car is a
daily grocery getter for my wife.
..

P.s. hey mike remember when i got the light for the passat how in the world
is that light so much brighter? i have had the other light looked at and can
not figure out why they are so different . its literally night and day
difference in the projection. the one you gave me is much more brilliant and
has a wider spectrum of vision . ive even looked at ones in the junkyard to
replace the driver side none look the same as the one you gave me.. i know
its been at least a year since i got that light but its bugging me to  no
end.. do you remember if there was a difference ? or??

Mark Christiansen
EMsport/EMprecision