Niggling Problem

I have a niggling problem on my '86 16v that I cannot
solve.  Intermittently I hear a rapid clicking from
the fusebox that coincides with some engine bucking.
Sometimes it happens all the time on a journey,
sometimes not at all.  I've already replaced the
fusebox, the fuel pump relay and the load relay and
have previously this year replaced a bad fuel pump.
The ground seems to be in good condition too.  My
mechanic can't recreate the condition so he can't
solve it.  It's driving my nuts.  I drove 100 miles to
an xmas dinner today and heard no clicks until the end
of the journey.  Then on the way back it was clicking
all the time with the engine bucking in synch.

By the way, Merry Xmas and Happy Y2K  everyone,
Wayne C.