Re: Voltage problem

> Phil Miron wrote:
>
> Perhaps someone can figure this out:
>
>     I have an '84 Rocco, with a 1.8L 8v from an '87.  I recently (last
> week) bought a new battery (650) and a rebuilt alternator (65A).  Now,
> before my voltage was reading 13-13.5v normal and went down to about
> 12ish with the lights on.  Now with the new battery and alternator it
> is worse... it reads almost 13v and with the lights 12v - if I put the
> lights, heater on 3, 4-way flashers, wipers and partially functioning
> defrost it fluctuates from 9-11!!! Does anyone know what is going
> on??? Oh, I don't have AC but Power steering, mirrors, windows and
> central locking
>
> Help!

How's yer wirering? I think you need to provide the "new" Alt and
Battery a better environment to live in. For an example look at New
Dimensions' site under MOWA. You can make your own and it's cheaper and
fun too. If nothing else just take the fasteners of that hold the ground
cables tot he trans and frame and recondition the contacts. Lube them
with some petroleum jelly or better yet dielectric grease to prevent
future corrosion. Don't forget the Battery posts and starter wires.
Another low cost source is the funky stuff from Pep Boys or Kragen. The
battery cables get crusty and inhibit current over time.

Another thing to consider is the 'new' alt may be DOA.

TBerk