need to fix before BBQ (long)

O.K. If it turns out that I can go to the BBQ,
(crossing fingers) I need to fix a couple things
on the Rocc before I dare the long journey. One
was the exhaust leak, but that is fixed now thanks
to the Autotech header I got, finally no leaks, my
car actually sounds like a car and not a
lawnmower, even though it is still being choked by
the damn 1" flex pipe, I hate that thing and mean
to change it ASAP. Another is a CV boot that
cracked and puked its grease, I believe I am going
to take it to my mechanic, yes I know, I cant
stand taking my car into the mechanics to have
something done that I could do my own damn self,
but I just moved and don't even have a garage to
work in let alone a place to put my tools and the
car while I'm working on it, so I don't have much
of a choice.
O.K. I'll get to my point and purpose of this
post. My Rocc has a vibration, it starts only when
I start to hit around 70mph and smoothes out a
little after 80 or so but is still their. this
problem has existed for the whole of the short
time I have owned the blessed automobile, the
previous owner told me that it was the rims that
where on the car at the time of purchase that made
the vibration but I have changed the rims and the
problem is still persistent and am positive the
rims are fine. When it is vibrating I feel it
through the steering wheel mostly and the rest of
the car slightly, it is in the front and causes
something in my steering column to rattle, but
when it rattles I can make it stop by hitting the
center of my steering wheel, the rattle stops but
ofcourse the vibration persists,  it is not
something that is to the extent of making me feel
unsafe but bugs the crap out of me and is
obviously wrong and there fore I hate it.
Thus begins the process of elimination:
****Yes, the car was wrecked once, but no more
than body damage, and the frame is fine, so its
not that.
****Yes, the struts need to be replaced, but I had
struts on my jetta that were alot worse and it
didn't vibrate, so why should the Rocc be any
diff?
****Yes, my bushings are fine, one A arm has new
(rubber) and the other has stock but they are
fine, I just looked at them when I put my header
on, so I don't think it is that.
****No, my springs are not cut, I have Neuspeed
racing springs that only lower the car one and a
quarter inch.
****No, I haven't gone to balance and align my
tires and rims, I plan to, but I don't think that
would cause this vibration, am I being ignorant?
****Yes, I have spacers for my rims (they would
rub without them), but would 5oz aluminum spacers
cause enough imbalance to make my car vibrate so?
I am thinking that there is something loose in my
steering linkage (thats what it feels like) but I
am unfamiliar with that part of the car, it looks
pretty basic and I don't see anything standing out
that seems to be wrong, but I cant say for shure.
Before I start tearing into my  steering column
and linkage can someone relate and or give any
suggestions? I realize my description of the
problem is kinda vague but I don't know how else
to put it.

In need of wisdom,
Nathan