Death of a Scirocco, plus some

To all who remember:
Going down the interstate a week ago, big whoosh, big white smoke, big
engine stop.
I finally got the time to actually LOOK at my now-defunct '84 today.
Pulled the charger off the battery, and tried to crank it.  Thunk.
That's it, thunk.  Popped the hood, checked out stuff.  Everything
looked normal, except for the completely dry coolant reservoir.  Checked
the oil....not good.  The level was 5-6 times higher than normal on the
dipstick.  Methinks I either put a major engine component through a
water jacket, flooding the crankcase, or I blew a head gasket, which in
turn made a major engine component unhappy and want to escape.  Whatever
it is, my car is seriuosly not happy.  So it will sit, in the driveway,
until I can have the time and resources to put a new motor in it.   If
anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them.  I don't want to go 16v
(too much money and work), I just want a good, strong motor with some
balls.
Nate
'84 8v on the transplant list as well.