Re: Its finally IN!

> All I can say for now is, if you have the opportunity to have the
> bottom end of your motor balanced, DO IT! I cant believe how smooth
> the thing idles. if it wasn't for the loud exhaust on the car I
> wouldn't even know its running. I only drove it around the block to
> set the motor mounts in their place before tightening everything
> down.
>
> It's a little low on oil so I wont be taking it to work with me
> tomorrow and I need to set the timming. So far the initial
> impression is that it definitely has more power than it had before.
> I haven't opened it up to see what power it has yet. Maybe after I
> get a few hundred miles it will see WOT a few times before the next
> (First of 2000) autox event on Jan 2 in the new FSP class.
>
> Also, I left the blowby hose off the valve cover (runs to the
> airbox) quite by accident and when I came back from my little trip,
> opened the hood and there is next to nothing comming out of the
> valve cover vent line! Gawd I love a new motor.
>
> This makes me think that perhaps those of us who have problems with
> oil (in quantities) in the airbox is a definite sign of worn rings
> or a cylinder groove at the top of the cylinder allowing air to get
> past the rings. Food for thought.
>
> Anyways, its one part of "Project FSP Scirocco" completed and
> hopefully a dyno run will happen before the new 2.0L is built. id
> like to see the CIS -VS- Carb comparison.
>
> Anyways, I had a really good weekend and wanted to share. It was
> alot of work and to final tally of parts and machine work was:
> $400 Parts.
> $303.64 Machine work
> $00.000 my labor.
> ------------------------------
> $703.64
>
> A new balanced, micro polished, bored .40 over bottom end for
> $703.64. Id say that's a good deal. Especially considering that ALL
> the parts in the block are new except for the crank and rods.

That's not bad at all, congratulations on the install.

What does .040 over work out to be for displacement?

I'm rebuilding my 2.0 L bottom end and I was wondering if you have any
more information about what was done, or any caveats or recommendations.

Who did the machine work?

What was balanced, the rods, crank, etc..

I just picked up a 2.0L 16V headset and I'm starting get everything
together.
My buddy, Butch, is going to help me "mic" sp? my main and rod bearings,
and hopefully I'll be able to just replace them with new standard size
bearings.

Considering how cheap the bearings are, I can't justify re-using the old
ones.

What kind of rod and main cap bolts did you use?

I was going to have the rods balanced while this is being done,
especially now after hearing how happy you are with yours.

What pistons did you get?

Thanks,
Peter
'79 Mk1 2.0L 16V Project it is a pile of parts for now