Re: brake conversion

In my experience, german-built A1 Golfs (we call 'em Rabbits on this side
of the pond), all A1 and A2 Jettas, and 90(?) and up A2 Golfs have a
variable proportioning valve on the rear axle.  In addition to the rear
valve, my A1 Jettas have all had what looks like a restrictor installed
inline to the rear brakes.

Drew 84 Wolfsburg Ed.

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Nigel Heron wrote:

> A2 golfs/jettas (and probably many others, A3, A4??) use a variable and
> adjustable proportioning valve system, it's mounted on the rear trailing
> arm. When there is more weight in the trunk the trailing arms lowers and
> causes more rear braking. When the front dives or when there is less
> weight in the trunk then there is less braking in the rear (lowering an
> A2 screws this up).
>
> A1s don't have adjustable valves, but you can buy levers/knobs from
> Summit, Wilwood, etc. that can be added in to get the best ratio.
>
> -nigel.

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca