Re: (long) (ugli) I FOUND A CAR!!!!

<P>Stay cool,
<BR>Nathan

<P>Chris Chemidlin wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Awlright!

<P>I won the e-bay auction for the 1975 Scirocco! Final price was $810,
<BR>little higher than I was looking for, but I think its money well spent.
In a
<BR>month, it'll be an antique! (25 yrs old)

<P>HEre's the original post I saw on Scirocco L that lead me to it (for
benefit
<BR>of my non-lister friends and girlfriend):

<P>________________________________________________________

<P>Well listers, looks like I can't afford this one, but I HIGHLY HIGHLY
<BR>reccomend someone buying this thing.&nbsp; I had my buddies dad go
check it
<BR>out, and here is his reply:

<P>Hi Eric,

<P>This looks like a car you can get excited about.&nbsp; He told me that
he a is
<BR>looking to get out of it what he has invested into it.&nbsp; I learned
during
<BR>further discussions that he paid $200 for the car six years ago when
he
<BR>bought
<BR>it for the storage fees that the previous owner was unable to pay to
a body
<BR>shop.&nbsp; He did not offer very much in the way of bragging points
about where
<BR>he
<BR>had invested money in this car, but did speak quite a lot about the
<BR>painting.

<P>He has painted the car a nice shade of light silver. and will also add
that
<BR>the paint finish is really very good, but not perfect.&nbsp; I would
allocate a
<BR>liberal $200.00 for materials to do the body work and preparation prior
<BR>and
<BR>including painting.&nbsp; He remarked that he would love to get $3,000
for the
<BR>car
<BR>(I assume that is the market value of an average 1975 Scirroco?), but
he
<BR>realizes that such a deal was not going to happen especially in the
short
<BR>time
<BR>frame that he has&nbsp; to sell the car.&nbsp; It is obvious that he
has a space
<BR>problem
<BR>with the six or more vehicles that are parked in his front yard, and
the
<BR>dune
<BR>buggy that is under construction and taking up his entire two car garage.

<P>I know next to nothing about this auction process that takes place over
the
<BR>Internet, nor do I have any feel for what this car's worth, but the
<BR>impression
<BR>that I am getting tells me that you should be able to buy this car
from him
<BR>for $$500 barring some aggressive bidding from someone else.

<P>Here are some of the answers to your specific questions: I saw no rust
<BR>behind
<BR>the front wheels.&nbsp; The rear axle mounts looked good.&nbsp; The
Bondo in the
<BR>driver's side door and quarter panel looked like a good repair necessitated
<BR>by
<BR>a minor parking lot accident.&nbsp; That was a decent repair with judicious
<BR>application of plastic, and you can see behind it now because the interior
<BR>door panels have remained in a box since the painting. The trunk floor
and
<BR>passenger compartment floor appeared solid.

<P>There is some superficial rust in the engine compartment, and a little
bit
<BR>more around the rear speaker mounts, but I repeat this is really minor
<BR>corrosion.&nbsp; The front strut towers look to be in perfect condition
.&nbsp;&nbsp; Three
<BR>of the four wheels are aluminum colored and the fourth is gold but
the
<BR>castings match. The seats, most of the interior, and a spare dashboard
are
<BR>include.&nbsp; I think the two worst things that I saw on the car were
some rust
<BR>inside the doors at the very bottom seam.&nbsp; This rust has not perforated
by
<BR>is
<BR>presently still superficial.&nbsp; I would treat this with an application
of
<BR>naval
<BR>jelly or spray-on chrome cleaner (both of which contain phosphoric
acid that
<BR>will convert the rust to a harmless material similar to paint primer).
<BR>After
<BR>this is done, I would then spray some aerosol paint into the interiors
of
<BR>the
<BR>doors, then inject some waxoyl in or on all of those vulnerable seams.&nbsp;
The
<BR>only other unsightly blemish is on the front hood, left leading edge.
The
<BR>paint in this spot is bubbling from corrosion under the paint.&nbsp;
It is
<BR>obviously repairable, but I kind of wish that he had done it before
doing
<BR>such
<BR>an otherwise fine job painting this car.

<P>I have no indication of what kind of bids he is receiving, but I am
very
<BR>high
<BR>on this car if you can get it at the right price. Good luck, and do
not
<BR>hesitate to let me know if I can be of any further help you.

<P>___________________________________________

<P>Someone NEEDS to buy this thing!

<P>ebay link to bid:

<P><A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=211840308">http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=211840308</A>

<P>Link to the pics:

<P><A HREF="http://community-2.webtv.net/crash311/VWScirocco/">http://community-2.webtv.net/crash311/VWScirocco/</A>

<P>His reserve is $600, DAMN DAMN cheap for a sweetly painted rocco that
<BR>needs minimal work (My buddies dad was very impressed with the paint,
3
<BR>layers of clear on it)

<P>Eric

<P>_________________________________________________________________

<P>Well, that's it.

<P>Go look at the pics.

<P>I'm gonna drive it with the 1.5 &amp; the 4 speed until summer rolls
around,
<BR>then stick in the 1.8 &amp; 5 speed from the uGLI. I hope the exhaust
is
<BR>similar...

<P>I'll be asking the list about 1 million questions now!

<P>I guess the only thing I have to figure out is what the hell am I going
<BR>do with that silly stripe?&nbsp; :)

<P>CHRIS CHEMIDLIN
<BR><A HREF="http://www.spredhaus.com">http://www.spredhaus.com</A> --
Finally Updated!