Re. Subject: 16V Frustration

<x-charset iso-8859-1>"Christian Els"
Subject: 16V Frustration

>3. I have a set of Autotech sway bars, big and juicy. The rear bar attaches
>through the lower shock bolts rather than clipping onto the trailing arm as
>the stocker. Or is supposed to.
	Yes it is supposed to attach that way.

>It was shipped with the bolts turned inward to avoid damage (I guess).
	? Mine was shipped with the hardware in a plastic bag.

>My attempts to turn the bolts to face back out have resulted in starting
>to bend/shear the bolts. Any tips from someone whose used this style
>bar before?
	Are you talking about the "popsicle mounts"?  In my experience they move to
any position you need (rotating around the bar that is).  Silicone spray,
white lithium grease, or a lube that doesn't break down to easy should  make
them slide easier.  After they have been on the car for a few years, taking
the mounts out of the lower shock bolt hole is bitch.

>BTW, without the rear mounted, the front bar redefines
>understeer. I thought my Alfa was bad...
	No clue what you are talking about here.  I have only had autotech bars and
they work great.  Was your Alfa also front wheel drive?  Understeer is part
of the design of front drivers.  You know you are doing it right when the
inside wheel lifts.  BTW, I run 22mm front and 28m rear.  Car handles very
neutral.

>5. Replaced exhaust hangars, replacement OEM stainless exhaust. Exhaust
>resonates really badly, can't seem to adjust it out through the hangars.
	I'll bet the dealer loves you right now.  I looked at the price of a
replacement muffler for my Scirocco and decided to get a performance exhaust
system since the price was close enough to the dealer muffler.  Double check
the pipe connections, and the angle the muffler is set.  I need to adjust
mine periodically due to the resonant vibrations also.

>7. Every time I prop the front of the car up on jackstands and then let it
>back down, the steering wheel is off-center, 50-50 the alignment is out
>(toed-out). Happened on my A1 GTI also. Bad steering rack bushings? Bad
>design?
	Bad design, no.  Bad bushings, likely since they don't last forever.  I
have never had this problem unless I am at the alignment shop.  You might
change the location you are using to jack the car onto.

Reply to me direct if you have other questions, or if I didn't answer yours.

HTH,

David Barwick
Black '88 Scirocco
Anthracite '84 GLI