Re: Fw: Speedo

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999 22:10:04 -0000 "Rick" <maxhp@visuallink.com> writes:
>but the rule still applies.  It took 5000hp to move a rail  car through
the
>air at 290mph.  They had to gain 2000 more hp only to increase thier
speed
>by a little.  Once the car reached its "velocity envelope"  it took much
>more to break out of it.  The wind resistance increases by multiples at
>higher speeds, making it harder and harderto move forward.  Will a Rocco
go
>140?  Probably.  But at what expense?  So I agree with Jonas on this
>one..
>HTH.
>Rick & Erin
>'90 GLi 2.0L 16v
>'88 Scirocco 2.0L 16v

Great analogy Rick!
The only problem with your model is that this is measured performance in
the 1/4 mile. Top speed of any given car wont need 3,000hp to get to the
200mph mark. Look at the champ cars who easily hit the 200 mph barrier
with motors putting out only 700-900hp.   Nascars (Who BTW is restricted
on the amount of HP they can produce.) hit pretty close to this speed on
super speedways which also weigh 3500 lbs.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and