Re: The poop on ABS

Agreed, ABS will decrease your stopping distances in most
circumstances..  But just to point it out, ABS is NOT fool proof.  It
IS possible to lock up ABS brakes.  Don't believe me?  Go out onto
some gravel and mess around.  That's not your tires sliding, it's
your brakes locking up.  The question is though, is it worth the
cost, and time to try to adapt an ABS system to work on your car?
 In my opinion, no.  There are other things that can be done to
improve braking.  If somebody really wants to put ABS on there
car, by all means go right ahead, more power to you.  I personally
wouldn't.  It's been my experience that for one reason or another,
ABS cars tend to go though brake pads and shoes quicker and are
more prone to warping rotors.  Don't know why, but on the
numerous brake jobs I've done at work, ABS cars appear to be
more prone to those things.
                   Kris Rayner
                1984 VW Scirocco
    1981 VW Scirocco S - Soon to be a 16V :)-
     "I do nothing in moderation but work."
               -Charles Dickens
   http://www.fix.net/~trzracing/web/scirocco.htm