Leap of faith

On thursday of next week I will head down to LA and look at a couple
16v's that im interested in. But first i thought i would run a few
questions by the Guru's.

1. Are there any special places to look for or things to check , that
would affect the value or appeal of the Car?( I.e.. Areas where rust
accumulates or areas that would show signs of stress like the front
strut mounts)

2. The two rocco's im looking at ,both are 87's, they are both coming
off a dealers lot. Are there any known problems with this particular
vintage?

so i guess what im asking is is there anything i need to look for , or
will i be utterly pleased with a 16v? Now mind you my first car was a 80
mk1 and i loved it dearly and i made the mistake of selling it for a 80
datsun 200sx ( which is a pain in the ass piece of crap). I want another
scirocco , and am ready to go all out ( well mostly) so any advice,
comments, warning, or suggestions are humbly welcome.

Thanks in advance

Dave,
(soon to own a 16v... i hope)