f*** lights!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh
Ok, so it was supposed to be quick and easy.  I had one of my 2 inst cluster
lights out for a while and pickup a couple of bulbs at the junkyard.  So I
pull out the cluster to put the bulb in, replace it, and it still doesn't
work.  In fact the other one (that was working before)  does not work
anymore either.  So I swapped out the clock bulb and it didn't work, and now
it won't work in any slot.  So, basically I have no cluster bulbs.  Whats
more is that over  time all of the bulbs have gone out in the car off that
dimmer switch circuit --  Heater control, dash buttons, etc.  I looked in
the bentley diagram and found that its only the ones off the dimmer switch.
I tested the switch and it is fine.  The wires leading to the switches I
tested are fine.  Its like all of the bulbs keep burning out and when I
replace them they burn out again.  WTF???  Are the bulbs that sensitive or
do I have some other sort of problem?  If I look really carefully the bulbs
look like they might be burnt out, but I just can't believe that they keep
busting, and every other I try is dead or burns out.  That seems highly
unlikely.  Well, any help would be great.  Its a little dark in my rocco at
night!!  Thanks...

Brad

85 8V 'Wolfsburg'