Re: 4K speeds compared to RPM ??

    cool,i'll be getting rid of my 4K soon :)  got an FF (thanks jim!) at the mechanic's right now getting checked over to make sure that it can handle the abuse that i will bestow upon it.

    actully, about a month or 2 ago, me and a bud dropped my tranny and replaced my clutch (with a slippy one), and pressure plate.  after we put it back in, i noticed that my speedo wasn't working.  i took the cable out of the tranny and noticed that the little red gear that usually rests at the end of the cable had disappeared!  i drove around with it for about a month when i finally decided that i was going to splurge and get a new cable (hell, if i get pulled over, i wanna know how fast i'm going so i can deny it vehemently).

    while i was at the store the guy showed me the new cable, and it too lacked the little gear.  i asked him why it wasn't on there, and he told me cuz they sold them separately!  oh happy days, it only cost me a couple of bucks (as opposed to $30+ for the whole cable)

    i promptly went home and spent about a goddamn hour trying to wrestle the cable back into the tranny, but it was the answer to my problem.

    oh, and in case you don't have a bentley, verne, make sure that you by the $0.23 lock ring that goes in there.  the ring fits into a notch at the end of the cable, and the gear fits overtop of it, but the hole on the gear and the break in the ring should be 180º from each other.

parts:
gear....171 957 821 A (plain)
           171 957 821 B (red)
ring......N 900 154 01

    you'll notice that there are two part numbers listed for the speedo gear.  i remembered that my old one was red, so i got the red one.  i would assume that that is the one that need, but i dunno for sure.  call the dealer and ask them.

    i can't remember what the gears and speeds were, so take a look at mark christansen's page:
http://emsport.hypermart.net/Gears.html

    you'll be able to figger it all out from there.

jason
the mad bastard
    I finally got a 4K into the Roc. There was more necessity than want though. Anyway, somehow during the transplant........I lost my speedo. I am in no position right now to run and grab another cable.......so if someone could be so kind as to post what the speeds at RPM are.......that would be great. Specifically.....what speed in 4th @ 3K, 5th @ 3K and 4K.......basically what gears and RPMs make up what legal limits, trying to avoid a ticket. After driving the Roc with an AG (??) in it..............I know the speeds in long gears not close ratio. BTW, this is in the world wide accepted metric system......not that foreign Mile thingie. hehehee....anyway, thanks to any who can help me fend off the flashing lights menace.