Re: fuel/air mixture ratio to high, ideas?

>Well, this is my first question about my newly aquired 88 16valve 'roc
>from fellow listmemebr Feenix, here is the question:
>It is running rich, very rich, i brought it to my mechanic who checked it
>out and it came out to 6% high(whatever that means) he was able to adjust
>stuff till it got to 2%, but he doesn't think it will pass emmisions at
>that, he suggested the following items might need to be replaced: O2
>sensor, thermo-temp swith, temp-enrichment valve, and possibly idle
>stabalizer valve.
>Has anyone else had this problem, and what worked for you/suggestions.
>thanks for any help anyone can give me.
>
>Rob Luhrs
>88 16v
>86 8v(soon to be sold)

Investing in a new O2 sensor is probably a good idea, considering it's
a single wire unit, a new one can be had for as little as $35.  As to
adjusting your fuel mixture, I'm sure you could do it.  I would suggest
getting a Bentley manual for your car...you could probably pick one up
on ebay for less then $20.  Anyway, there's a 3mm hex screw inside
your fuel distributor, accessed from the top, between the air cone and
the fuel lines...you may have to drill out the aluminum plug
if it's never been adjusted before.  Clockwise is richer,
counter-clockwise is leaner.  Before doing this I would get the Bentley
manual, as without a dwell meter, you have no feedback from the car as
to how 'lean' or 'rich' you're running.  The manual will have pretty
detailed instructions for carrying this procedure out.

==Brett