Re: Morning start up lights

At 11:14 AM 8/5/99 , Captnbr@aol.com wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Every morning when I start up my car the the battery light and the oxs light
>will stay on untill I hit the gas peddal and rev the engine.  After I do
this
>the lights go off and I hear the fuelpump turn on, or should I say get
>louder.  Why does this happen and is it normal?  thanks
>
>Brian 86 16v

Normal? No.  Typical? Yes.
What's happening is that your alternator isn't charging the system until
you hit a certain rpm (I think it's supposed to be like 1000rpm, but it
tends to climb as the car and charging system get older).  Once you hit a
certain rpm, the alternator will energize the system, and the lights will
go out.
	The only reason I can think of why the fuel pumps would get louder is
because it's getting more voltage.
	I wouldn't worry too much about it... I know a lot of VWs with the same
problem, and haven't heard of anyone who fixed it...

Jason