RE: 5th gear conversion -Reply

> Who has done this conversion themselves?  How long did it take you and
> was it easy/moderate/hard????  Getting ready to order my conversion
> and if it looks straight forward  I will do my self.

I just finished putting in the .75 5th a few weeks ago.  I ordered the kit
from Potterman (of course).  It is the kit from Autotech.  The directions
suck if you've never done it before. And if you've done it before, you won't
need the directions, but they still suck.  The terminology used is
inconsistent.  BUT, the price was right!

The tranny was out of the car (replaced the reverseless stock 9A with a 4K),
so it might be a little more difficult if you're doing it in the car.  I'd
rate it moderate, but unnerving for the first timer ("Why the hell am I do
this to a perfectly good tranny!?!?).  I used a couple sources to make sure
I was doing it right, and in the end, the 5th gear worked perfectly.

Overall impression:  Sweet!  It is *very* nice drive in 5th and be able to
hear yourself think.  Much quieter.   The 5th gear acceleration is not a
good as before, but who cares.  Drop it to 4th and enjoy the high revs...

I'll have pictures and tips/directions online in a week or so.

Greg :)

Gregory Davis       1985 Euro-spec Scirocco

GAK Motorsports... Your source for German Plates,
country emblems, and more!

Please visit http://www.DriversFound.com