Re: Manual Rack and Pinion

Yeap, I did this, a lot of the people who watched me do it said I was
stupid, but PS costs way to much and I wasn't about to go looking all
over the countryside for the pump, and the necessary shit to hook it
up.  Anyways, went to MS, no you don't have to change the steering
column, however there is one little catch, when replacing the rack, you
have to use the universal joint (thing between column and rack) off of
the MS, the PS joint is not long enough and will not work, also you
have to use the shifter bracket off the MS as the PS will not work as
well, then you shifter will need adjusting, good luck it's worth it I
think, but then again I had the engine out where as you don't, and it's
going to be a PITA for you to do, so HTH later.

--- ted groth <tedgroth@webtv.net> wrote:
> I've got an 86 rocco 8V, I have to replace the rack and pinion (PS).
> was wondering about converting  it to manual steering. Has anybody
> done
> this? Can you just change racks, or do you have to change the
> steering
> column too. Does anybody have the parts? TIA.
>
> Ted
> 86 Scirocco 8V.

> If you experience other problems, email:
> scirocco-l-probs@scirocco.org

===
Scottish
'83 Rocco (parts)