Re: CV joint tips

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999 15:41:45 +0100  Ewan Hopkins
<Ewan.Hopkins@computeraid.co.uk> writes:
>Giving in so easily? Traitor! ;)

Im not going to argue with Dan whether or not its the best way. To him it
is and that's how he likes it and that's perfectly fine by me. There is
no right or wrong answer here, this is a preference and simply just
another way to do it. I disagree with his technique but don't think he is
wrong either.

>I'd go for the ball-joint every time. Just as quick if you use a bar to
pop
>the ball-joint off the carrier. IME there are too many plastic bits on
the
>gear linkages that get brittle & break if you start fiddling round
there, so
>best leave well alone. It's great fun getting to your local
>junkyard/autoshop with no 1st or 2nd gear cause you've bust the clip
>on the linkage rod!
>
>Ewan Hopkins.

Ive got lots of spare plastic bits. :)
However I find that if you have your car apart enough (repairs,
inspections, maintenance) it comes apart rather easily and for me, its
worth it to have the axles out for a complete inspection. I find its
better to find a potential problem now and deal with it NOW whilst its
still in the driveway rather than to have to deal with it on th open
road. (Especially since we SoCal boys do SO MUCH road tripping, dude!)
that's just me tho. Since ive  worked as a mechanic for most of my life
(Now with ToyotaLift, go figure.) , I tend to overdo the inspection,
checking, rechecking aspect of owning a 17 yr old car. YMMV as well as
your INSPECTION criteria. (YIC)   :)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and