More info: Driving lights

We talked about this a little bit a week or two ago, and I've got some
different viewpoints about how some people prefer the driving lights to
work.

Since then, I've done some detective work (while installing euro headlights)
and I have now determined that the switch on my dash IS actually wired into
the driving lights, but in a way that seems really strange to me. Does this
sound right to you?

The relay for the driving lights is set so that the driving lights go off
whenever the high-beams are on. The only thing that the switch on the dash
does is determine whether the driving lights are on when you are "flashing"
the lights (pulling the high-beam stalk partway back, but not until it
clicks). If the switch is off, only the lows/highs will be used in the
flash. If the switch is on, the driving lights and the lows/highs will be
used in the flash. This sounds really wierd to me. Is there a reason for
this, or was it wired wrong? There's a little green light on the side of the
switch that only comes on when the highbeams are on, but obviously that
isn't necessarily when the driving lights are on, since they (the driving
lights) turn off as soon as you click the stalk all the way back into
high-beams, regardless of the switch's position.

On the relay (standard Bosch 30 amp...same type used for the euro headlight
HOW-TO on the Scirocco.org site):

- The power wire from the battery goes to terminal 30
- The driving lights are powered off the two terminal 87's
- Terminal 86 goes into the dash (presumably to the switch, but somehow the
highbeam stalk must figure in, right?)
- Terminal 85 is spliced to the POSITIVE terminal on the driver's low beam

Terminal 85 and 86 are obviously what I'm concerned with. 85 is supposed to
go to a ground, right? 86 presumably goes to the dash switch, and this would
make sense if for some reason they decided to wire the switch through the
ground circuit. The driving lights would go off with the high beams (cause
terminal 85 looses power). That makes sense, but doesn't explain how the
"flash" function on the high beam stalk is involved.

If somebody says "well, its supposed to work this way because..." then I'll
leave it alone. If that sounds screwy to everyone else as it does for me,
then I think I'm gonna put rewiring the dash switch on my priority list...

Thanks!
Neal