Re: 16V Ram Air Setup

What you suggest at the end is exactly what I did. I could only fit 3"
hose, but it's plenty big. I attached it to the bottom of the air dam and
routed up to the air box. Right now I have a totally gutted aix box (I like
the sound :) so it blows cool air onto the filter. I used to have a little
better arrangement where I cut out the little 2" intake on the air box to
fit the 3" in and sealed the 3" in the hole and covered those 3 little
holes on the other side. With thise setup water MIGHT be a problem (it's no
problem w/ the gutted airbox) because if you completely submerged the
intake under the airdam it might possibly suck in water, but i think the
engine would die before that because of the problems the water would cause
for the airflow meter if it even made it that far.

I have been running ram air setups for approx 2 years and I have NEVER had
my air filter even get a drop of water (even through 'el nino'! :) I check
it almost every time i drive through rain. I think the water just can't
make it up that pipe w/ all the corragations in it (dryer tubing). I'm not
worried

At 01:19 AM 4/26/99 -0700, you wrote:
>    I completed Jason's Ram Air mod this weekend (Thanks, Jason).  I
>haven't had a chance to really test it, but the whole thing got me
>thinking.  On the 16V, a 4" diameter hole leaves the air box to a
>plastic contraption that connects the 2.5" fresh air hose that mounts
>behind the bumper, the heater hose coming from the engine, and that
>little white hose coming off the rubber fuel injection piece close to
>the throttle body.  Currently all I did was disconnect the fresh air
>mount, drill two rivets out of the plastic contraption to remove the
>scoop that connects behind the bumper, connected the scoop just below
>the air dam, and connected a 2.5" flexible hose from the scoop back to
>the plastic contraption.
>
>    So here's the question (finally).  If the point of a Ram Air setup
>is to get as much cool air flowing into the air box, why not remove the
>plastic contraption, cap the heater hose, cap that little white hose,
>and connect a 4" diameter flexible hose with a scoop underneath the air
>dam directly to the air box.  Seems this set up would get more air and
>all fresh, cool air into the system.  Any thoughts?  Will it work?
>Would this be an improvement over my current setup?  I realize water
>could be an issue.  But here in So Cal, it's not a problem.
>
>-Brad
>

>--

Kevin Fry -- gear head/computer nerd
'81 Scirocco S 1.8l