RE: Axles and CV's

yeah, this is what i did (replaced whole thing w/ reman).
	Yeah, you _will_ replace it more often, but instead of 300 dollars (or
whatever for brand new stuff) I paid 150 for both axles and I'm covered for
life. I haven't had one go out in 3 years, but while I had my engine out,
the drivers side outer CV felt stiff to me, so I took it back and got a new
one! :)

Besides, when you just swap the whole axle, it takes about 40 minutes max.
Pulling the CV's off and fixing boots and stuff is a real mess and takes
forever.

At 09:46 AM 4/24/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>-snip-
>>My Question:  Is it just that much easier to replace the axle with CVs
>>installed or better to 'roll my own'?
>>

>>Replace the whole thing and be done with it. The axle I put in was like,
>>$59 bucks with a lifetime guarantee. Torn boot? New axle. Why bother
>>rebuilding? Sometimes the joint costs more than a whole new axle!
>>

>>Zach
>
>There's got to be a reason why they're so cheap...right? :)  Many
>peoples experience has been that the re-mans don't last as long
>as new...makes sense really.  If you're into that sort of thing, like
>replacing them every so often...or the price is right...which it
>sounds like it is.
>
>==Brett
>
> \/  '84 Scirocco (ITB racer 2B) | "Hot VW's, take two home. They're small"
>\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '85 Scirocco (Winter) | - brett@netacc.net

Kevin Fry -- gear head/computer nerd
'81 Scirocco S 1.8l
'80 Scirocco   0.0l