Re: broken exhaust

HOTGTX@aol.com wrote:

> All right I'm pissed.  I was playing under my car 'cuz my rear main leaks and
> I decided to replace it.  As I was removing the exhaust it broke off at the
> hollowed out cat.  The problems is it hits the sway bar.  I'm sure it is
> putting the strain on the system.  Any ideas on how to stop it from hit the
> bar?
>
> TIA
> Dave
> 85 Scirocco GTX

IME, the #1 cause of this is worn motor mounts (passenger side mostly)
my cat use to hit the sway bar as well, then I replaced the front, rear
and passenger side mount, all better :), not to mention a dramtic
reduction of vibration and noise, and the drive train felt way
stiffer.  If your mounts do indeed need to be replaced, I suggest this,

TT Front HD mount
VW motorsports rear HD mount (does TT make one?)
and the stock (or desiel) passenger side mount (potterman has the
already pressed in
the bracket + core deal I think)
and if you really wanna go for the gusto, replace the shift bushings and
align the shifter per bently.

you will be amazed at how much of an improvement it makes, of couse
the passenger side mount is not all that easy to do, but its not real
real hard.

I don't quite remember how to test if the mounts are bad or not,
but I think it was, put a jack under the oil pan, and jack it up
watching how much the engine moves (not the chassis), if it moves
alot (1" or more ??) then they are bad.

now if your mounts are not bad, then I dunnno what hell it could
be.  Maybe something hit the underside and bent the swaybar up???

HTH
Etrik