[Mk1] Won't start...Vaccum?

Ok.. The problem continues... '81 Rocco.. stock, blah blah..

For shits and giggles this morning, I went to start my car. After a
few seconds of cranking, and a loud bang, it starts. Bang?

I open the hood and the vaccum line is hanging loose. Right before the
intake manifold...Not the line that curves down and goes away from the
engine, but one that goes to the "Two-way valve" according to my
Chilton's manual. This valve is only on cars with A/C. Mine has it.
(BTW- the a/c compressor V-belt has been removed since I've owned it)

The little piece of hose left on the little vaccum distributor thingee
(right before the intake manifold) really sucks. Literally. The air is
sucking pretty hard. I put my finger over the open end of the tube,
and the car dies. If I put the dangling vaccum line in my mouth and
suck on it, the car dies.

Is this "Two-way valve" bad? I'm gonna get one, anywho...

Then, I try backing up to take her out for a test drive, but it dies
immedeatley, and won't start. With vaccum line on or off.

Vaccum systems suck.

Help!??!

-Dave
'81 Scirocco
'88 OldsmoBuick Delta 88 (the land yacht for the time Winnie's dead)