Too cold, too hot! (funky cooling prob)

I have been trying to reduce the operating temp of my turbo rocco, since the
summer is finally upon us, and I have encountered a strange problem. I started
by installing a low temp thermostat (160). This might have helped, but I mostly
figured that it was a step in the right direction. Next, I observed that the fan
temp switch seemed a bit lazy, so I picked up a "lowest one ya got" fan
switch... Well, now the operating temp has become unacceptably low, and further
sometimes the temp will skyrocket almost to the point of overheating. Could this
be the thermostat closing because the temp is too low? Has anyone ever had this
happen to them? The other angle is that I bought the thermostat from a cheapo
place, and it looked noticeably poorer quality than the one I took out. Perhaps
it is sticking?

One thing that is gratifying is that the heat produced by the turbo car seems to
be well within the stock cooling system's ability to handle (water cooled
turbo). This is good news because, before I owned it, the car had gotten sooo
hot that the raintray where the ECU resides is all curled up and melted.

-Noah
-83 16v Cabbie
-83 Turbo Rocco
-87 8v GTI
see my cars and read about my obsession...
http://forced-induction.autos.webjump.com/
http://home.earthlink.net/~pchandyman/vwclubofdurham/