Broken steering :(

I have a bad feeling about this one...

I was making a U-turn the other day when all of a sudden *SNAP!* My steering
was all hosed. I also couldn't shift into gear (I eventually found 1st and
hobbled home; at least I was only about 1/2 mile away).

I took a look under the hood and could see that a bolt had broken off where
the steering column exits the firewall. I figure that the bracket the the
bolt *used* to hold is also connected to the shift linkage. Since the bolt
comes out of the firewall, I don't think replacing it will be an easy- or
cheap- task).

If anyone has any advice, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris G
'82 Scirocco