Re: electric Scirocco, my $0.02 + change

A light Mk1 would be the chassis of choice for an
EV Scirocco. FYI, there is a COMPLETE EV KIT for
the A1 VW chassis (Rabbit & Scirocco) available.
Check it out at www.electroauto.com  under custom kits.

The complete kit isn't cheap (and it isn't the most
powerful setup at 96v) although you'd save $$ on maintenance
over a stock (internal combustion) Scirocco on the
long run, assuming the batteries or fuel cell don't need
regular replacement. But you may only need to buy the A1
chassis electric motor mount for the SCirocco and some
other bits and pieces from them. The STOCK springs and
early Rabbit brakes will be of no use, as
your batteries will be very heavy and you ROCco or rabbit
will end up weighing 3000lbs+ (gulp!!), so you need
upgraded springs and shocks and late model brakes. The
gang at electromotive sells Scirocco springs for 3000lb
sciroccos (for non-EV Sciroccos, can you say HIGH RIDER!!)
Your VW tranny can be used; an adapter to connect it to
an electric motor is readily available.

You'd also want to make get a strong HORN,
as man, an EV is quiet, so pedestrians may not
know you're coming! Oh, you may also want to join an
EV mailing list as they actually have built their own
EVs, while I'm going to guess none of us here have.
Anyone have an electric Rocc on the list?

Kareem
'88 16v (valves, not volts)