mk1 speedo swap success and ramblings

well i did it, not hard at all. thanks for all the tips
previos..seems the old owner madeit easy on me, no radio
retention clips and no screw securing the cluster to the car.
anyways i thought the speedo setup was totally badass, the gauge
plate is screwed down to a clear acrylic plate, got me thinking would
be cool just to put the hash marks and numbers on the clear plate so
you could see the whole speedo behind it, sorta 'Swatch Watch'
style..too bad the gears there werent more entertaining to look at.

some tricks.

how to rollback your speedo fast- (note i condone this only to match
the miles, and in texas your mileage is exempt after 10years
anyways!) but there is an axel securing some cogs that lock the
speedo numbers in place. I used a dremmel (stone) to grind down the
bulge at the high numbered side on the axel to allow me to pull it
back and lift up tose cogs, then positioned the numbers, and secured
the cogs back locking the numbers and then put a small bead of solder
back on the end sothe axel wouldn't work its way out (like stock).

my stock 81 blaupunk radio actually got better reception now too!

i am bummed that the light in the ac control display doesnt work, the
bulb looked darn good to me, and i didnt have an extra to swap but
isnt this wired directly to the light switch or does it go thorough a
fuse?

total time about 30min.

oh also added a G60 muffler to my stock exhaust,...sounds really
good. I dunno whats up though, on my 87 JH cabby (4-1manifold)
id get a serious loud V8 sound outta it and the exhaust would 'roll'
rumm bum bumbum etc when i let off the gas, but on my 81 S 1.7l
4-2-1 its kinda quiet, has a barely audible low tone and slightly
rolls wen i let off the gas...i like it. heh big improvement over the
old one, it looked like  a hand gernade exploded in it...

but the 1.7l is smoking bad, real bad prob valve guide/seals, so
instead of spending all that money on a head job, i need to build up
my 2.0L engine asap.