Re: non-ac alternator

On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, POTATO! wrote:

> does anyone know if there is a 75 or 90 amp alternator, that was
> originally intended for a non-ac car?

I don't know the answer to this one; I'd guess a 75, though...

....i need to replace the 60 amp one
> i currently have, but most of the 75 and 90 amp ones i've come across so
> far have a shorter shaft coming out of the alternator

My solution to this problem was to find a spacer to put behind the pulley
nut.  I then had the pulley welded to the alternator shaft.

IF YOU TRY THIS, make *sure* to test the alternator afterward.  I had no
problem with it at all, but the welder knew what he was doing and attached
the ground clamp to the pulley, not the alternator housing.  It's possible
to reverse the fields on the alternator, which *could* then trash *all*
the electricals in your car.  All of 'em.  Again, a simple test will make
sure it's okay, but don't omit that step!

HTH!

Carlyle