[8v]time for timing

well i checked my timing on my 1.7L in my 81S.....

the hash mark is pretty well towards the firewall, i cant see it
looking down, but if i bring my head towards the firewall at about
45degress (1/2 way between looking down and looking from the edge of
the firewall) i can see it, when i rev the car the hash dissapears
towards the firewall.

is correct setting of the hash mark lined up with the metal arrow on
the tranny housing? i read the bentley but it makes no mention of
wether ihave advanced or retarded timing. I'm going to deduct it's
advanced since timing advances as your rpms increase.

is there a safe or decent ammount of advanced timing to run and if so
how far towards the firewall should the hash mark be?

thanks
Ryan