Re: A/C (while we're on that subject)

"Daniel A. Nowlan" wrote:

> I've downgraded my system to R-134a.  It's a lot cheap in the long run if
> you have to do a/c work even ONE time after putting R-12 in it.  It's just
> that fuckin' expense compared to the R-134a.  It's not tough to do the
> math.  R-12 is about $30/lb and R-134a is about $6-7/lb.  After two buying
> two pounds of R-12, you can pay for the new drier.  After the next pound,
> you could pay for the kit.  Then everything else is gravy.  Just remember
> R-134a does not work as well as R-12.  No two ways around that....

I had the AC fixed on my car when I bought it, not a cheap job!  But I elected
to stick with R12.  Why?  Because R-134a is indeed a less efficient coolant,
and many who have converted (speaking broadly, not about VWs in particular)
have complained about the reduced cooling efficiency in a system designed for
R12.  Also, I did some research on the 'net and found that R12 is in plentiful
supply, which was NOT thought to be the case about a year or so ago.  Prices
have subsequently dropped from hideous levels to just "expensive".  Apparently
GM is sitting on something like 20 MILLION pounds of the stuff.. we're not
going to run out any time soon.  Thus, I stuck with it...

- --
Kevin Collins
Huntington Beach, CA
'86.5 Scirocco 16V 2.0