Re: A/C (while we're on that subject)

At 17:20 9/29/98 -0400, Mark A Peele wrote:
>hmmm. . .
>
>I raised the same question several times this year - very little or no
>response.
>
>Parts stores sell upgrade kits for $30 or less. Instructions say system
>must be flushed of R-12. I am waiting to hear from someone that has
>actually done this conversion (the $30 kit conversion).
>
>I plan to do some sort of upgrade on my Golf GT - either R134a or FR-12.

I've downgraded my system to R-134a.  It's a lot cheap in the long run if
you have to do a/c work even ONE time after putting R-12 in it.  It's just
that fuckin' expense compared to the R-134a.  It's not tough to do the
math.  R-12 is about $30/lb and R-134a is about $6-7/lb.  After two buying
two pounds of R-12, you can pay for the new drier.  After the next pound,
you could pay for the kit.  Then everything else is gravy.  Just remember
R-134a does not work as well as R-12.  No two ways around that....

Dan
'86 8v red martian

  mailto:nowlan@flash.net
  http://www.flash.net/~nowlan/