did i do the right thing

every hour i'm feeling more confident, just wanted some support..

was out of town all weekend, looked at a '79 rocco. I thought it
was a piece of shit, but considering it was completely stock
everything except for a few new hoses..

+100k orig miles
+never wrecked, a-arms good, control arm boots and cvjoint boots
good..solid frame
- -burning some oil(claimed 1 quart a month)
- -minor surface rust on every body panel
- -serious hail damage on roof and hood (golfball size indentations
completely covering entire roof and hood)
- -no p/s
- -ac not working

+all black vinal (pleather) interior w/ small hole in driver side
bolster..usual
+all lights and gauges working, wolfburg steering wheel, wood grain
dash
+no exhaust leaks

the car seemed to be running really well for a stock 79 and the
interior looked really really nice for a 79, but the car just looked
like a big frigging golf ball w/ all the hail dents, I offered the
guy $300, specifically because the ac wasn't blowing cold, and the
roof was beat to hell. He wanted over $500 saying he could part it
out for more than $300, which i agreed but not by much. So was I
being fair? i thought so.
- --