Re: prepping for painting

snoalh@unx.sas.com wrote:

> Hi,
>   I am in the process of prepping my 84 8v for a new paint job.  I could
> use some suggestions on how to get all of the name plates, rear fender
> trim etc off of the car intact so they can be reinstalled after painting.
> I am also considering removing all of the glass from the car.  How hard
> is it to get the rear windows out of the car?  The car is a track car.
> The paint doesn't have to be perfect, but I would like it to protect the
> car as much as possible.  If anyone has any tips on the surface prep, I
> would appreciate those too.  I am going to prep and mask the car.  Then
> I will just trailer it to the body shop to be shot.  I figured this was
> the best way for me to get a decent job for the lowest possible cost.
>                         Thanks,

  Use a paint scraper to remove the trim and name plates that are
attached with addhesive foam. Be carefull not to brake the name plates
and not to bend the moulding trim too much. Also don't guoge the paint
below. After the paint has dried good you can use ashesive foam like the
factory to reattach or if the foam backing is still attached to the
parts good old super glue works great. This is the way most bodyshops do
it to save money.

Feenix...
88 16V

- --