Re: Fuel Pump Solenoid

On Thu, 03 Sep 1998 19:07:47 -0700 David McGowan <trent@iwvisp.com>
writes:
>My friend has a 77 rocco , it has a small problem ... he burns solenoid
>fuses after 30 seconds of run time. Any one have an idea how to trace
>this down ? TIA
>
>Dave
>80 Scirocco.( looking for a front spoiler )

Im no electrical guru, but it would seem there is a short somwhere in the
system. That, or the fuel pump is running alot of resisitance (Meaning,
bad fuel pump.) causing more amps and *POP*, there goes another fuse.
Check the commections on the fuel pump. Sometimes the plastic plugs get
eaten away which leaves the wires bare enough to let something like
moisture (or other road hazards) to get in there and cause problems with
the electrical system. Id guess the fuel pump gets pretty hot in that 30
seconds. (Kind of hard to guess accurately without being there to do a 10
second check to rule this and that out for ya.)
Also, how old is the fuel pump relay? Is it hot? Has he yried to swap out
another relay to see if that helps? Whats a solenoid fuse? Would that be
a fuel pump relay fuse? (the fuse ON the FPR.)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and