The 2L 16v project moves ahead

While we are talking about 2.0's.  does anyone know what they do to
get 2.1 liters?  just curious.  probably way more than I can afford.
Might as well go for broke.  Keep up posted on the project Brett.  I
know I will be rebuilding a 2.0 shortly. ( I just need to find a car
to stuff it in.)

Tony

Quick update on my engine rebuild project.  After tearing down the 2L 16v block, and
waiting until I saved up enough cash, I took the whole mess-o-parts (technical term)
to a local machine shop/engine rebuilder.  Let's just say that not all the parts passed
visual inspection...the pistons where scuffed too badly, and had carbon buildup below
the 2nd ring.  Soooo, that makes bad pistons, which means I also need the cylinders
bored out.  After checking with Autotech (because it was easy with their on-line
catalog, and Mike wasn't out of bed yet, and Mark was in Europe) on their price for
a set of 2L 16v pistons (second oversize of 83mm, let's not kid around) was $750.

<chock, chock, gag>

I started making some other calls, and GPR (German Parts and Restoration) found me a
set for the magic price of $325, with rings.  "Yeah, I'll take _2_ at that price. :0"
Now, since I also wanted the whole shebang balanced, I ordered the rest of the short
block rebuilding stuff today (from Mark since he's back from europe)....all the main
bearings, the rod bearings, the wrist pins, the seals...what fun!  I've blown double
the budget!  But I'll have a _real_ 2L 16v when I'm done...not the 1984cc rounded
up to 2L like VW makes. I believe that the 83mm bore x 92.8mm stroke gives a 2008cc.(?)
I wonder what that'll be worth in HP/torque?

Man, I cannot wait to get this thing in my car...topped with a ported 1.8 head, spinning
260's inside...I'm thinking easy 160+hp...uhhhh yumaaaay!

==Brett
- --

- --