Re: New England

Born in Cambridge, grew up in Harvard MA, now I live in Colorado, lived in
Utah, California and Vermont in between.  I guess that means I don't count.
 I don't miss the crappy weather, I do miss the music scene, I don't miss
the State Police, I do miss people who fully ignore speedlimits(Rt2,
128....), I don't miss the skiing, I do miss the mountain biking, I don't
miss the crummy roads, I do miss being able to create "another back way" to
just about anywhere.  I really don't miss the obnoxious New England skiers
who somehow think they're better than those of us smart enough to move to a
place where it does not rain immediately after a snowstorm.  Ducking.  I
don't miss obnoxious New England skiers who seem to think that being a good
ice skier is something to be proud of(I patrolled for three winters in
Vermont, I *knew* how to ski ice.  Never again:). Move, ice is for skating
and winter autocrosses.  I do miss MtWashington/Tuckerman/Gulf of Slides.
I don't miss frozen, rusted bolts on everything.  I do miss mountain biking
on Harvard's stellar trails on that good day they have every year.  I don't
miss the bugs.  I do miss being able to ride into an apple orchard to get a
snack.  I do miss being able to drive 3 hours or less in a given direction
to get to mountains, oceans, forests or cities(Denver is barely a city, it
just has a lot of people).  Hell, 3.5 hours gets you another country, here,
it gets you a cornfield, desert or Wyoming.  What else.  I am seemingly
unable to throw a "me too" answer into the fray.  I've only autocrossed
back there a couple of times, and I don't miss the sites.  Devens is
decent, Bayside was OK, but man, our paddock areas for local events are
bigger!  We're lucky there.  Lots of good roadcourses back there.  Lots of
other forms of racing - ice, big BMW club chapter, SoloI, hillclimbs,
rally, you name it.  New England is a cool place, but I doubt I'll ever
move back there.  I don't miss people who know EVERYTHING.  Heh, maybe I
should move back;).

I.Mannix(although Boston lost big when the Channel closed.....)
- --