From: Victor Farren <vfarren@smtp.cdie.org>
To: scirocco-L@scirocco.org <scirocco-L@scirocco.org>
Date: Wednesday, September 16, 1998 11:35 AM
Subject: drivebelt and timing belt

:I checked my Haynes manual b/c I need to replace my drivebelt/alternator belt.  It states
that the drivebelt deflection distance for a new belt should be 2mm, and 5 mm for a used
belt.
:
:Just curious, but if you are installing a new belt, at what point does it become *used*,
and therfor a 5mm deflection is ok?  So, at what point in the life of the belt is 5mm ok,
and when is 5mm too much (apart from just after getting it from the store)?
:
:Timing belt--looked at the Haynes manual again and looked into changing the timing belt.
The Haynes manual makes it sound real easy...but it can't be that easy, can it?  It also
doesn't mention anything about making sure the number one piston is at TDC, but the
Bentley manual does.  Do I have this straight or am I  out to lunch on this one?
:Anybody replaced their timing belt?  Got any words of wisdom?
:
:Thanks
:
:Victor J. Farren
:Research & Reference Services
:PPC/CDIE/DIO/RRS
:Tel: (202) 661-5842
:Fax: (202) 661-5891
:E-mail: vfarren@rrs.cdie.org
:
:--
:To subscribe or unsubscribe, send email to scirocco-L-request@scirocco.org,
:with your request (subscribe, unsubscribe) in the BODY of the message.

- --