Re: racing update...

Jason...
    Jack up the side of your car that you think has the faulty balljoint. Looking
at the balljoint, move the tire back and forth like you're steering it, but don't
actually move it any significant distance, just rock it back and forth (this may
require some awkward lying under the car- two people, one to move the tire, one
to look at the balljoint, works better- just don't rock the car off the jack!).
If the ball joint is bad, you should be able to see play in it when you put
stress in the tire.
New balljoints should cost you about $30 and installation isn't that big a deal
unless you break a bolt, in which case it gets to be a bit of a PITA. New
aligmnent is recommended after this.
    GL!
    -Josiah

stoopid kid wrote:

> > Problem seems to be bad cv joint.  i just replaced my ball joints, control
> > arms, bushings... when i put the koni's in about a month and a half ago, so
> > that shouldn't be the problem (at least it better not be after all that
> > work!).
>
>         how much was it for a new ball joint?  and did you do the labour
> yourself, or did you get someone else to do it?  i still have to find out
> for sure if it is my ball joint that is fucked, but all evidence seems to
> suggest that that is indeed the case.
>
> >       anyway, thanks for the help.  how goes the sciretta?
>
>         the scrietta is doing nicely, thankyou.  i just did two untimed
> quarter mile runs with this dude i met two hours ago that has an
> absolutely gorgeous 2-door like mine.  only his is painted, has euro
> bumpers, euro side markers, power recaros, fuba...the list goes on and on.
>
>         oh yeah, he's got a 2.0L 8V with a 272 degree cam.  he's as cool
> as fuck.  dub nut that likes to thrash his car (like someone else i know),
> and was convinced that his car was super fast.  in fact, he had me pretty
> worried, so i took the box out of my trunk, but in some octance boost,
> and made sure that my little ram-air thingamabobber was pointed dirctly
> into my airbox.
>
>         the anticipation grew until it was time to race and we lined it
> up.  at this time i realized that we didn't have someone to flag us down
> the track.  so he suggested that we roll at the same speed in first to a
> pole and drop the hammer.  we did, and i swear to fucking god, owen, i
> beat this guy by 10 fucking cars!  we did it twice.  we're side-by-side in
> first, then as soon as i drop second on him, the game is over!  i must
> make about 5 cars on second gear alone.  anyways,i'm not mocking the guy
> at all.  it was a good race, and his car looks flawless.  i'm so impressed
> with the work that he has put into that little monster.  anyways, that' my
> story for the night....
>
> jason
> the mad bastard

- --
 '83 Scirocco (not for long!)
 '84 Rabbit GTi (running again)
 '86 Scirocco
 '87 QSW
 http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah
 I have lots of VW (especially A1) stuff for sale at:
 http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah/forsale/forsale.html

- --